Friday, January 22, 2010

Etsy Fridays (making it personal)

Ok, so, I know I keep saying this, but I really do want to post more. And I really intended to do a post earlier this week, but we have been fighting colds around here for the past few days. I am feeling much better today, but Aiden is still pretty sick and now Rob is starting with it.


So, I am going to make this "Etsy Friday" post a little more personal.

Remember how I mentioned that we were planning a bigger project? Well, we are going to be making some exciting changes in the kitchen. This will probably be the biggest project we will have taken on in the house. Rob has done a lot out in the backyard (garden, deck, awesome gate/door) since moving in. But, we haven't done a whole lot inside the house besides painting/decorating, mostly because there really hasn't been anything that "needs" to be done. I am not really going to call this a renovation, because that seems a little extreme. But, the kitchen will be different when we're done (at least that's what I'm hoping!!). The main thing we are doing is making a kitchen island. There will be more changes, but I won't get into all that quite yet. Later I will post pictures of how the kitchen is now and a little more explanation of why we are changing it. We haven't started actually doing anything yet, and really have no timeline for it, so don't hold your breath for the finished product. In the meantime, here is a little taste of some things I already picked out, including bar stools, a ceiling light, and shelving from Ikea. As well as some fabric that I plan to use to make cafe-style curtains, the "Keep Calm and Carry On" sign that I have always wanted to incorporate somewhere into our home, and some Anthroplogie knobs, which I am not 100% sure of yet because of the price, but I love them.


The fabric and sign above I found on Etsy. These signs seem to be everywhere, but I think that Etsy seems to have the most color options. When it comes to finding fabric, I always turn to Etsy first. There are SO many options at such great deals. Most of my projects are pretty small, so if something doesn't seem to be the exact color I thought when I receive it, I can usually use it for something else. I have also found that a lot of times you can find remnants or "fat quarters" for sale on Etsy for a couple of dollars to make sure it is exactly what I want before ordering more yardage.

And lastly, this has nothing to do with the kitchen, but I just ordered this print for Aiden for his birthday that's coming up. He got so much for Christmas, its overwhelming, so we wanted to pick out something that he would love, but wouldn't add to all the "stuff" he already has. Aiden is obsessed with letters. I know, it's strange for an almost 2 year old to know all his letters, the sounds they make, and how to make everything he does involve letters, but he does. We didn't even really teach him intentionally. Anyway, we will frame this and hang it somewhere in his room where he can look at it and enjoy it. I am excited about it. Again, there is a lot of this kind of stuff on Etsy, but I liked this one the best and for the price.


Hope you have a happy weekend!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey I am excited about the kitchen! Cant wait to see what changes you are going to make.
Also wondering if I could possibly have that chicken salad recipe again, I promise I will keep it this time I cant seem to find it in the move!
Also we need to get together again!!!!
Maybe a day at the zoo!?
Tiff

Tiffany said...

oh yeah finally painted the server...painted it white, then distressed and sanded all the edges then put a mocha glaze on the whole thing. LOVE IT already have ideas of going to good will and doing the same thing to an old hutch and replacing my bookshelf with it!

The Jones' said...

Tiff- I've been thinking about your house- I would love to see the server!! You should send me some pics....I will email you the chicken salad recipe and we can discuss getting together :-)