Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kitchen complete (ok, not really)

Although there are still some things that need to be done in the kitchen, the major stuff is done and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.


Here's a before shot again, just so you can remember what it looked like.

And here it is now.



As you can see, we painted. I don't think I mentioned before that we were planning on doing that-mostly because I thought you might think I was crazy for repainting. But, I have been wanting to paint a room this light gray color and we figured if we were going to redo the kitchen, we might as well go all in. It was actually a pretty quick project because we didn't have to move any furniture. I got most of the painting done last week in the evenings while Aiden was sleeping and Rob was working.

I love how the cafe style curtains look. And even though the top half of the window is open, they give more privacy when closed than the bamboo shades.


So, if you remember from my little mood board, I originally planned on these knobs from anthro. In fact, my sweet sister-in-law, Gwyn, even offered to buy some for a birthday present to cut down on the cost since they were $8 each and we would need 19 of them! But, when she went to purchase them, we realized that they were sold out in the lime green color. As I thought about it more, I realized that maybe something super simple would be better. We found these stainless steel ones at IKEA (of course) and they were only $4 for a pack of 2. So it only ended up costing 40 bucks. I like the clean, simple look of these and realize that perhaps the anthro ones would have been too much in a small space. I also realized the anthro ones were quite large at an inch and a half in diameter.


We did some rearranging in the corner to the left of the stove where clutter seems to gather no matter what. If you remember, we had a monstrosity of a wall organizer that I kind of hated because it was so large. So, I just bought a couple of bowls and a little mail/pen organizer to keep our things somewhat under control.


That's all for now. We still have a couple things left to complete-getting stools for the island, the backsplash, and the corner area where we need to repair the floor and replace the kitchen cart with a shelf. But, I am already SO happy with how the kitchen looks and functions. Once everything is done, I plan on posting about our budget for this project just so you can see how affordable it was. Rob and I are firm believers in doing things on a budget, with getting good quality and the end result that you want. So, stay tuned for more to come!





3 comments:

Gwyneth said...

Good choice on the knobs! Now I need to find another birthday present...

Mom said...

Sorry I didn't notice the newly painted grey walls (on Sat.), but I did notice those knobs! Your kitchen looks so nice, & it's important to like it since so much of your time is spent there! Nice & bright...very cheerful! XO

Unknown said...

I didn't know you enjoyed and were so good at decorating! It is not one of my talents, that's for sure. I'll have to ask your advice when I need to do some decorating! I especially like the "on a budget" part. :) PS- Is Rob the "plot thinkens" gardner? Who knew you could learn so much about people from blogging? Ha!