Monday, March 8, 2010

Kitchen breakdown

So, as promised, I wanted to share our budget and costs for our kitchen makeover. Here is the post with before shots. Sorry to bore you with more pictures of our kitchen, but I have a hard time doing posts without pictures.


Our budget for this project was $1,000 and we were determined to stay within budget. We were doing this "Trading Spaces" style (minus the whole trading spaces/time limit part).


The whole reason for this project was to make an island to provide more counterspace. So, by using the cabinets that we already had, for the base, we saved a ton of money. It didn't take long to decide on the pre-cut butcher block from Ikea. By only spending $200 on the countertop, we were able to stretch our money.

We did repaint, which wasn't neceseary, but something we have been talking about doing, and decided now was a good time to do it. We always get Lowe's Valspar paint and have always been pleased. This particular color is Seashell Gray and I love it!


I made the curtains from 2 yards of fabric I ordered from Etsy. I can't promise that I won't change these from time to time. We all know how much I like to do simple sewing projects like this to change things up a bit. But the fabric is Michael Miller "Mod Geo" in green.


I also ordered a couple of prints for the kitchen from Etsy which I haven't shared with you yet because one hasn't arrived yet and I haven't gotten a frame for the other one, but I will let you know when I get them up.

So, here's the breakdown list:

Base Cabinets- FREE
3 legs for island to provide more support (Ikea): $25 each, total $75 (sorry can't find the link but they are Utby)
New light fixture (Ikea): $25
Stools for island (Overstock): $200
Knobs for cabinets (Ikea) 10 packs at $4 ea.: $40
Paint and supplies (Lowes): $40
Fabric: $20
Art (prints from Etsy): $40
We probably spent around $75 on other random things that came up that we needed to get like caulk, dry wall to repair the wall, etc.

TOTAL: $780

So, we still have a little over $200 left! We still need to do the backsplash, but don't anticpate that costing too much becasue we are using the most basic white subway tiles that cost less than 50 cents each. If we still have money left over I would like to get a new trashcan since ours is broken.

There you have it! I am so glad that we stayed well within our budget and were able to do all we wanted to.





1 comments:

Budget Wise Home said...

This looks fabulous. What a great job you did! I love bright white kitchens. Everything looks so clean and fresh. I absolutely LOVE all the green! I wish my white kitchen aid was that gorgeous color. It's my favorite--my kitchen is painted that same color. Great job on staying in your budget.