Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I'm back

Sorry I haven't done too much blogging recently.  Things have been busy around the Jonesabode this fall.  I finished an exciting project last weekend that I am finally blogging about.  


So, you remember how I have been whining about wanting the circle cut out chairs from West Elm?  Well, a couple of weeks ago we were up in Lancaster and stopped at the Pottery Barn Outlet.  They didn't have the exact chairs that I wanted, but they had these...



Yes, they are a strange bronze color, I know.  But, the weekend before I found these chairs, we were visiting our friends Peter and Tiffany.  They bought a house this past summer and Tiffany has been working on lots of decorating projects since they moved in, making the house look great!  She was showing us some of her spray-paint projects and so, inspired by Tiffany, I thought to myself, why can't I just spray paint these chairs white?!!  

Now, I have to tell you that the brand new white chairs from West Elm retail at $229 a piece. Which, honestly, I would never spend.  I also know that I have never seen these chairs in white at the outlet, and, even if they did have them, they would probably be pretty banged up.   These bronze colored chairs were $100 a piece at the outlet and were in great shape.  That is more than 50% off the price, plus I had a $50 gift card.  So I ended up only paying $150, which I thought was well worth it.

I did some research and it seemed like the best spray paint for this project would be the "Rustoleum Universal All- Surface Spray Paint".  In addition, I did prime the chairs and just used the Lowes brand, since all primers are pretty much the same.  I didn't do any sanding or anything to the chairs, just went at them with the spray paint.  I only used 1 can of the primer between the 2 chairs and then used 2 cans per chair of the Rustoleum.  





Here are the chairs completely done and drying outside.  





They turned out great and I am so happy that I took the risk and just decided to spray paint them.  Here they are in the dining room.  




I still have the other chairs that were in the dining room and I am playing with the idea of fixing them up a little bit with a fresh coat of paint, since this was so easy, and repairing the arm on the one chair, and then selling them on Craigslist for maybe $50 for both or something....I don't know, we'll see.  


3 comments:

Mom said...

Jen, this is the first I saw the chairs since you painted them. They look so good...just like new. I know you couldn't be happier with the way they turned out. You did a great job. XO

Tiffany said...

YEAH they look great----welcome to the world of spray painting....once you start there is no going back...I will have to send you some pictures of what I have done so far!!! miss you guys

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Found a link to your blog on Mabel's House. Love these chairs! The white looks so crisp and clean.