Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Surprise, Surprise

I told you not to get too excited about this little project I have been working on.  Yes, that's right- more pillow covers.  I may have a serious problem with changing the pillows in our living room.  Rob and I were watching videos of Aiden from early last summer and we both said- "what are those pillows on the sofa? I barely remember them".  Maybe that's because I have changed them about 5 times since then.  This addiction stems mostly for my love of fabric.  Also, everything in the living room is pretty neutral, so I can easily make this change over and over again.  Of course, I need to take into account the dining room wallpaper and yellow walls.  I don't want things in the living room to clash too much.  I know I've said it before, but I want these 2 rooms to feel like they flow into each other.  Anyway, I won't bore you too much with my thought process, here is the sofa.  



 
I have really been liking the color gray recently.  It started with this $12 clearance item I found at Target this past winter. 



I love Amy Butler prints and have admired this print for awhile.  I thought that the gray colors would work with everything else and it has a touch of yellow to tie in with the dining room.  I wasn't sure if I would like the dark brown pillows with them, but I think they are a nice contrast.  



I also really wanted to make a pillow for the chair in the living room.  This chair is so pretty, but since Christmas, it has served as a place to put Aiden's monkey.  I felt like it was time to move monkey into Aiden's crib and make a pretty pillow to show off the chair. 



 I wanted a smaller pillow, so I picked up an appropriate size insert and made this cover for it.  It is the same color gray as in the other fabric.  



So, there you have it.  The bird pillows were just a little too much for me at the moment, and I like these more toned down pillows for now.  

*just a tip- I have a hard time finding samples of fabrics that I like and have sometimes ordered things online and been disappointed with the actual colors- they are often much brighter than they appear on the screen of my computer.  I noticed that a lot of fabric stores on ETSY sell remnants or fat quarters of fabric for how much a sample would be anyway.  I always figure I can use the pieces for other projects anyway.  So, this time I ordered some fat quarters of the fabric I was looking at and was then able to see what they look like in person before committing to a bigger order.  

1 comments:

Steph said...

could your house look anymore like a magazine?!?